Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Day 1: San Jose

Apparently, I needed sleep because I slept for 12 hours last night! An overpriced coffee with this view got me going.

Then I explored the city by foot. I walked around and stopped at a few places on the way for a good 5 hours and man are my feet tired. Right off the bat, I almost got lost and decided to turn around and head in the right direction towards the Avenida Central and happened upon this adorable museum, El Museo de Arte y Diseño Contemporáneo, that I had read about in a guide book that had a fabulous little cafe. Even though the building was very nice, it of course had the apparently de rigeur corrugated tine roof seen everywhere. The cafe had ladies lunching and my great meal of local fare and a cas (fruit only "born" as the waiter said, in Costa Rica) smoothie cost a mere $7.50 in American dollar.

Unfortunately the people in San Jose are far more interesting than the city itself, which is for the most part, extremely run down and and not very pleasant to look at. I'm not quite comfortable taking pictures of people so I didn't but there is some really nice parks and some nice buildings that I did get. Unfortunately some of the great architecture is a bit spoiled by the rings of razor wire.

Parque Moravado was full of latin lovers kissing and hugging. So cute.

Later in the day I heard music and thought it was an outdoor concert so I headed that way to instead find a protest. Whoops.

Near the end of my trek, I found the most lovely neighborhood after miles and miles of run down areas and was enchanted. There was trees and adorable houses and the birds were chirping in the trees.

Then I rounded the corner to find this brothel. Yep. A brothel.


Just met some new people and we might go out on the town tonight, I'm excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment