Thursday, July 21, 2011

Day 16: Nothing gonna get me down in Boquete

So according to the Doctor at the Urgent Care at Mae Lewis Hospital in David (which cost $5 to visit, by the way) I have had an allergic reaction to Augmentin prescribed by my dentist, I have strep throat and likely also have sinusitis. Since I'm now possibly allergic to penicillins, I have to go on something else and if that doesn't work I need to come back for stronger medicine. All of this was relayed to me in Spanish since no one speaks any English. I heard everyone speaks English in Panama but I am so far unconvinced of this fact. A shot of steroids in my bum ($3.25) and some medications ($29) and I'm on my way at less than the cost of my co-pay to the emergency room in the states. Panama is awesome. And unlike Costa Rica, they actually have real sidewalks, all of the sidewalks in Costa Rica double as obstacle courses.


Similar to Costa Rica though, I cannot walk down the street without being whistled, catcalled and honked at. No matter how hard I try to look not sexy, unkempt and/or mannish. It never works and it's basically like walking past miles and miles of construction sites.

I headed out after my visit and not to be dissuaded from my travels, I caught a bus to Boquete decked out in purple vinyl and feather boas. Yep. Purple feather boas to be exact.


I met a guy from Brazil on the bus, Leon, who only speaks Portuguese and Spanish, which is great for practicing my Spanish and we decided to look for a hostel together. Boquete is so adorable. It's a mountain town surrounded by coffee fields, near the highest peak in Panama.




I am sick, so it's off to bed early for some sleepy time.

No comments:

Post a Comment