Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Day 15: Headed to Panama

I'm really itchy, I think I'm developing a rash, and my throat is sore. Not a good sign. So, I'm headed to Panama today hoping for greener (and cheaper) pastures. They also have a hospital in David that I may have to pay a visit to.

So I was on the bus at 5 am headed to San Isidro where I  caught a bus to the border.  Luckily, I arrived in San Isidrio, headed straight to the other bus station and barely made the bus to Canas.

Once I arrived in Canas, the border town, I was so lost. Even speaking spanish, i had problems finding the Costa Rican office to get my exit visa. Of course there is no signage to let anyone know where it is, that would be far too convenient.

Once I waited and waited for the Costa Rican officials to decide to do their jobs and stamp my passport I headed toward the welcome to Panama sign. The Panamanian border is pure chaos, no lines, no way of knowing if what you are doing is correct. An official helps you get your Visa, collects your dollar or 5, I've heard different prices. I think they charge less if you speak Spanish or are a brunette. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to the price.

Then you walk further down the road and you're in Panama. I kept waiting for someone to check my passport or something but nope. You could have just walked through.

I caught my $1.50 mini bus, one and a half hour ride to David, popped a few more benadryl for my itchy skin and made my way to Hostal Bambu, run by this former musician from New York.

I wanted to head to Boquete today, there's not much in David, but I gotta get some rest and I think I have to hit up the doctor tomorrow morning. And after 9 and 1/2 hours of bus rides I can't bear another hour on the bus.

No comments:

Post a Comment