Tuesday, July 5, 2011

The First Hiccough.

So, never fly United. Not only are their flight attendants old and bitter but they are misinformed. They sent me to the wrong terminal and by the time I arrived at the correct one the TSA guys thought they needed a break and I couldn't get through security to get to my flight. This led to my first near panic attack of the trip. Luckily the staff of LASCA airlines was very nice to me and got me on a 7 am flight to San Salvador, which is absolutely gorgeous from the air, by the way. Miles and miles of green spotted with rivers, farm houses, small towns. No roads, nothing like the US which is crisscrossed with wide-laned freeways filled with shiny cars.
On the ground, San Salvador was a little  more intimidating but still fascinating. Yes mom, there were guys with guns and drug sniffing dogs like the one's in the movies but it was definitely an experience.
Much more exciting than San Jose's airport which was pretty much like LAX except it greeted you with a sign welcoming you to the "happiest country of the world." (I tried to get a picture but the convenient escalator was moving too fast.)
Then there was the rush hour Central American traffic drive to San Jose. I learned today that no matter where you are in the world, traffic just sucks. Also I didn't get any pictures yet, but the streets of San Jose look pretty rough and I definitely will not be venturing out at night alone.
All in all not a bad day, I missed my flight which I thought would be the worse thing in the world and everything ended up ok, if not more exciting. I'm dead tired, but I had some awesome guaro (sugar cane vodka) and punch and mojitos on a rooftop bar, next to a gorgeous pool in some cool hammocks and met some cool people but now it is time to sleep in my private room and enjoy it while I can because I'm gonna be doing a lot of bunking in dorms after this.

1 comment:

  1. No night adventures for you. If i have to come down there and save your ass "Taken" style i will be pissed! lol

    ReplyDelete