Monday, July 11, 2011

Day 6: El Jardin de Lankester

Today I traveled to Lankester Gardens in between Cartago and Paraiso, run by the University of Costa Rica. It is most famously know for it's collection of 1200 species of orchids, though it is the off season now and not many are in bloom.




Can you see the bird? Here's a hint: he's brown and has a yellow beak. He was pretty close. He's probably the black morph of the collared forest falcon.



Also there is a secondary forest on site, that has been allowed to grow naturally from abandoned farmland.




The most peaceful area was the Japanese Garden that provided a great place for a siesta, until the mosquitos found me.







There was beautiful ponds with koi in the Japanese garden that were being visited by birds such as this Green Heron.



I also found some lizards, one being the Green Spiny Lizard and lots of different butterflies, though they are difficult to catch in a photo.





I have been taking the bus everywhere and it's been relatively easy. I have yet to take the wrong one, or get off on the wrong stop. Knock on wood. I generally have to ask the driver or a fellow passenger for help. Nobody speaks english, for the most part, outside of San Jose, so it's helpful that I speak some spanish. I headed back to Orosi where it had started pouring, and stopped to get some food at the cafeteria next to the plaza as they call it.

Mama Elisa was very worried because I was 27 minutes late. Then I was off to 3 hours of private Spanish instruction and went home at 6 pm for dinner. Once again I am exhausted. It is really really difficult to constantly be conversing in Spanish. It has yet to stop raining since it started at 2 pm, I think it will rain all night.

No comments:

Post a Comment