Sunday, July 10, 2011

Day 5: Pueblo Orosi

I moved in with my host family today. A single mother, Elisa, with a young teenage son, Josue, and an adorable toddler daughter, Ariana, and Elisa’s brother and their family with two teenage daughters live next door. They are so nice and their home is modest but clean and they have pretty much what they need but no more. I have so much stuff, so much crap that I don’t need. My $12 glasses broke apart in my hands for no apparent reason and later the son gave me a very similar pair that he says he doesn’t wear. Elisa is constantly trying to feed me and putting drinks, like limonada, in front of me. The generosity is overwhelming. Orosi is a small town with the requisite soccer field in the middle, right next to the church.



They took me to the church in the center of Orosi, apparently it is the oldest practicing church in Costa Rica. The building was completed in 1764.





There is a museum of religious artifacts on site with paintings from the 17th century that are beautiful but could use some serious restoration.



Also, some more great Pre-Columbian artifacts from the Orosi area.



There are small parrots that hang out around the square all the time. Elisa yells up at them pajaritos! and they skwak back in reply.



I have been speaking nothing but Spanish since leaving the hostel at 11 am this morning and almost 9 hours later I am exhausted. Hardly anyone speaks english in this part of Costa Rica. I have retreated to my room to sleep at 8 pm!

No comments:

Post a Comment