Saturday, July 9, 2011

Day 4: Volcano Poas

I finally got out of San Jose! Today me and a couple of new friends, Lena and Ferdich from Germany and Holland, all went to the Volcano Poas. It's a day trip out of San Jose that takes you on an aging tour bus up a windy road with all the Costa Rican farms alongside. We stopped at a roadside soda (that's what they call cantinas here) on the way. I was so excited about all the stuff and the fruits (I bought some fresas or strawberries) that I totally forgot to take pictures. Whoops! Anyway Volcano Poas, was cloud filled at first so we passed the time pretending to be Japanese tourists.


Then we hiked to the cold water crater lake which was also cloud-filled and saw some wildlife on the way. We got a private show by a very overly-friendly humming bird which did these crazy acrobatics all around our heads. I got a video but the pictures didn't come out, he was just a green and blue blur. There were lots of plants, some we have in Hawaii, some we do not so commonly, like these bromeliads.


On the way back we saw this squirrel. Yes, they have squirrels in Costa Rica.


We headed back to the crater lookout just to see if by chance the clouds had cleared. The wind had picked up and they had!


So I decided to have Lena take my picture. And of course my eyes were closed.

No comments:

Post a Comment