Sunday, July 24, 2011

Day 19: La Isla Boca Brava

Man, I am not feeling so hot today. After a lot of sleep last night I'm still down, my throat hurts so bad I can hardly eat or drink. I don't think the antibiotics are working. On the plus side, I'm probably getting skinnier. Eh? I woke up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom and had to avoid a bat flying around my room, which wasn't a surprise because the dorms are basically open to the outside because there aren't really any mosquitos here. I know that they are very unlikely to hit me due to their great echolocation but I still can't help freaking out and ducking every time one gets near me. On the way back into my room of course my entryway was being guarded by a group GIANT praying mantis and some freaky HUGE catydids. They were flying back and forth in front of the door and I stood there in trepidation before making a run for it. Luckily none of them landed in my hair but I still had a momentary freak out. Here's a picture of one staring at me... I had to take one as evidence.

I got up early, about 7 am, and decided to go for a walk to check out the wildlife, I heard a lot of howler monkeys making a lot of ruckus last night around dusk and I knew they were also active at dawn. This place is so beautiful, I watched the sun come up and some birds fishing out over the water as well. It wasn't long before I happened along a couple of them eating berries and throwing the seeds down at me. Cheeky buggers.



I had a lazy morning, it's easy to be lazy around here when you've got these kind of views.






Later on I discovered I still had another little roommate. She's not so scary during the day.


After my rest, I was introduced to a newcomer to the island that I would be bunking with and we decided to go for a hike around the island. We happened upon more monkeys, some isolated beaches and made our way to another part of the island.





We almost got lost and the rancher we ran into was about as helpful as this cow.


Thanks to my handy iphone which even works in the boonies of Panama and has a gps, mapping feature and a compass, we were able to find our way back easily in time to catch a lovely sunset.





No comments:

Post a Comment